I’ve been taking small steps in my day routine to try and live a healthier lifestyle. I’ve swapped hunk food for healthy fresh fruit, minimized my coffee intake, and limit my sugar options. Since I do still love sweet foods and must have sugar in my coffee or tea, I have swapped my sugar with Splenda and have been experimenting with the different varieties they offer. Initially I tried just regular Splenda, but when I discovered they made a Splenda with a hint of vanilla and a half sugar half Splenda mix, I wanted to try each of them to see if there was a huge difference between them.
- 3 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 3 (1 gram) packets SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
- 12 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
- 2 Darjeeling tea bags
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add teabags, cover and steep 5 minutes. Remove spices and tea bags with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add milk and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Do not boil. Serve immediately.
*Note: I used a sprinkle of ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon for this recipe and it came out delicious! When I make a big pot of tea for company, I like to add whole cloves, fresh ginger, and a cinnamon stick to a boiling pot for flavor. I also substituted 1 packet of Splenda with French Vanilla and left the milk out. I love this recipe because you can adapt it to your tastebuds or mood, and always come out with a delicious, comforting drink! Let me know your variations on Chai Tea!