This month, The Bronx Zoo is celebrating the re-opening of the Children’s Zoo! My girls always loved the crafts and lessons that came along with visiting the Children’s section of the Bronx Zoo, and now we are even more excited to see the changes. This is where children can get up close and personal with some friendly zoo creatures while learning about their habitats and environments.
One of the things we teach our kids at home is how to grow and manage our own garden, and the Bronx Zoo emphasizes that. FarmOn! Foundation by the Mouse House exhibit offers kid-friendly events each weekend in June. There will also be a Father’s Day celebration, so be sure to check out the schedule below and catch as many events as you can. A trip to The Bronx Zoo is never the same twice, and something the whole family can enjoy. Be sure to visit Bronx Zoo Events to stay updated.
Along with fun events each weekend, there will also be activities and crafts. Teach kids the importance of conserving and reusing resources by visiting the Asia Theater for Re-Usable the Musical at 12:30, 1:15, 2:00, 2:45, & 3:30. There are also fun crafts you can try at home with your kids to encourage learning about their environment. Check out the Kitchen Scrap Gardening and Planting a Window Box.
June 6-7: Meet Your Farmer: Seed & Soil
- Get dirty and learn how to make your garden grow at the Bronx Zoo’s dig station.
- Common Ground Farm will present Eat a Rainbow a hands-on discussion about why it’s important to eat a variety of colors and foods, with examples and samples.
- Join a special butter churning demonstration and discussion on how dairy milk is transformed into cheese
- Join the Green Bronx Machine as they celebrate urban framing and lean about innovative ways to farm in the city
June 13-14: From Kitchen to Compost; Composting: Food Waste
- McEnroe Organic Farm helps families learn the basics of composting their meal leftovers.
- Meet the soil’s best friend, the earthworm, in a fun and informative activity. Also, enjoy storytime with Professor Snail and his friends and explore a worm composting bin.
- Join the Green Bronx Machine and learn how to grow your own soil and create a small worm box.
Father’s Day weekend: June 20-21: Celebrating All-Star Dads: Healthy Food & Recipes
- Eat Local NY presents a fermentation workshop and talks about pickling and fermentation
- French Culinary Institute chef, Lisa Witkowski presents healthy, seasonal recipes from the garden and shows kids how to utilize nutrition-packed ingredients for on-the-go fun snacks.
- Interactive Farm games! Have fun with dad by testing your skills at America’s favorite farm yard competition including a bean bag toss and cornhole
- Super Sprowtz will be onsite. Meet Roger and Colby Carrot on June 20 at 12:00-1:00pm and 2:00-3:00pm.
June 27-28: Celebrating Pollinators
- Bee storytime from favorite author Lela Nargi
- Fancy some honey? The zoo will host honey tastings from Eat Local and explain the importance of pollinators
- Play Pollinatorpalooza! Children can find their inner bee, butterfly, or hummingbird as they learn the language of the bee to get their job done. They’ll also learn simple ways to help these special animals in their very own neighborhood and become official Pollinator Protectors.