This post was sponsored by Kidde Fire Safety as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I started my teaching career before I had kids and learned that October is National Fire Safety Month. Since I taught baking to my students, it was only natural that we spoke about fire safety before entering the kitchens to bake. Each October, I would coordinate with the local fire department and have the Fire Marshall come and speak to the students about the importance of fire safety, how to handle kitchen fires, and what to do in the event of a fire in the home. Their homework that evening was to discuss what their families plan was in case they were separated during a home emergency.
After I became a mother and my kids were old enough to understand, I started speaking to them about this same topic. By having a plan and trying to be as prepared as possible for an emergency situation, I feel better knowing that my children are knowledgeable about how to handle the worst. My husband lets me lead the conversation, and he’s in charge of changing the batteries on all our Kidde smoke/carbon monoxide alarms in the house. We change them twice a year and my kids are always part of this routine.
I explained to them that if there is a lot of smoke in the house, they shouldn’t hide because firemen might look scary in the dark with their fire gear on. I’ve even taken them to the local firehouse and had the firefighters speak to them directly and show them what they look like with all their gear on! (I highly recommend this! The firefighters really love educating kids.) Our family plan in the event we get separated is to meet at the neighbors’ house across the street. Since our yard isn’t too big, I would be worried that falling debris would hurt someone, so being across the street would be safer.
Our home is equipped with Kidde smoke/carbon monoxide alarms throughout the entire house. Just recently we had to replace one of the alarms and had the option of other companies, but Kidde is the brand we have trusted since my husband and I have had a home of our own.
Knowing they truly care about keeping families safe makes all the difference for me, and they will always be my brand of choice when it comes to keeping my family safe. Even the Fire Marshall who visited our school would bring a Kidde brand carbon monoxide alarm with him to show the students – that says a lot about the brand! It only takes a moment to speak with your family about fire safety, just as it only takes a moment for catastrophes to happen.
Being that it is National Fire Safety Month, it’s a great time to review your emergency plan, change the batteries in your smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, and have a fire extinguisher near the kitchen or fireplace. You can find out more about Kidde products by visiting them on the web and checking them out at The Home Depot or Walmart.