A new baby coming can change your entire family’s life. Especially as a mother’s role, you feel more responsible than anyone else. You probably do a lot of researches to make sure your angle will have a better and comfortable life. However, there are not so many sources to show you what to prepare when going out with a newborn baby. Believe me, as a mom 3 kids, I have been through this process, and I know how frustrating it is at the beginning.
Here are 3 things you are better to keep in mind not only for the first time but also for many times later when bringing your baby out.
#1. PREPARE ESSENTIALS
Imagine you are going to the World War III with a lot of guns, bullets, and thousands of things to prepare. Here you will face the same situation. Or it is better to say that you should prepare a home away from home for your baby.
This is for sure; you want your kid to feel as much comfortable as at home to be able to enjoy all the fun outside. The list of the essentials will never end, but in my opinion, it is good enough:
- A car seat (if you need to drive your baby).
- A stroller or baby carrier
- A swaddle blanket (for an infant) and some clothes
- Changing bags
- Food, I mean milk bottle for the baby
- Some toys (optional)
According to my experience, there are several things that you can’t spend less to save money. In order not to regret later, please throw away things that don’t do a good job and get a new one.
For example, choose the swaddle blankets. The blanket will be in contact with the baby’s skin all day long. It can be considered as a nest for your child. Depends on the outside temperature, you might want to choose a thicker, but lighter one to keep the baby warm enough. However, in the summer time, it is better to have the material to absorb the sweat and circulate the air. The most important are the inside layer. It should be soft and smooth.
I recommend you have everything is a set, one for summer, and one for winter.
Photo credit: Ed from Ohio via Foter.com
#2. PREPARE THE EMOTION
In the very first time, you must be very excited for your child to go out and see the world. As a mother, either you are worried too much, or you pay too much attention to her/him.
You might carry tons of things not necessary from home, for “just in case” situations. You are afraid of the temperature, the surrounding bacteria, the noise, the people can affect to your angel. But come on ladies, please calm down and accept the fact that one day your baby will leave you and this is just a very small step in his journey. If you are well prepared, there is nothing going to happen.
Moreover, while caring too much about the baby, you will miss out all the fun yourself. Take it easy and go with the flow.
#3. PREPARE THE FUN
The fun here can be identified as the activities like going to the mall, visiting relatives, walking in the park. Whatever it is, choose the location suitable for the infant carefully. Don’t go too long under the sun or stay whole night with the low temperature. Don’t do something silly like hiking or camping in the mountain.
It also is understandable that sometimes moms have to run errands and carry the baby together, maybe just to the corner of the street to pick up laundry or to pay the bills. The obvious risk has you let your baby suffering from the changing speed as these activities are not pleasant at all and need to be done fast.
Photo credit: DiariVeu via Foter.com
There are many cases parents forget the kids inside the car leading to death. Please keep in mind that you can see a human in your hand now.
That’s the most basic things to prepare when going out with the baby. However, there are some tips to make your life easier:
- If you are breastfeeding and you don’t want to show your breasts every hour, you should consider choosing the breastmilk storage bags correctly. It not only helps during the pumping process but also makes your milk lasts longer. Just “produce” your milk in advance, then put it in several bottles (depends on how long the trip is and how much your baby consumes).
- Ask for help. Ask your husband or any family member to assist you. You are just one person; you can’t both take care of the essentials and the baby at the same time.
- Take a good care of yourself. Dress nicely, wear light makeup or spray a bit perfume. When you look nice, and you feel you are nice, everything will be completely different. Plus, you can have a pretty photo with your baby.
- Pack extra diapers, wet tissues and clothe. You never know what will happen during the trip. Keeping your baby clean and comfortable is the most priority.
- Feed your baby at the similar time when you feed him/her at home. It doesn’t matter where you are and how inconvenient the situation is, don’t ruin the routine, just because of the trip. In this way, your baby will not be starving.
- Watch your time. Even though the baby just lies down and can sleep in the stroller, he/she might be exhausted with the surrounding. Nothing is better than a bed at home. Same to feeding, the sleeping routine should be kept as well.
Going out with your baby is always fun. There is nothing better than sharing beautiful moments and creating unforgettable memories with the kids. I believe every new mom might experience the same thing while letting your baby out for the very first time. Let me know what your experience and how you overcome this situation.
Emma is the founder of ShrewdMommy, where she and associates blog about pregnancy advice, parenting insights, tips for mommy. Those experiences will somehow help you in your search for questions about pregnancy and baby tips.