The summer is not lost! We have plenty of time to enjoy the sun and the amazing weather yet. Since we’ve all been locked down together, families will want to know what they can do as a team, regarding health and fitness activities. Come on, we’ve all piled on a little lockdown weight. We can get those pounds off with just a little help from each other. Getting the family involved in sport, healthy eating, and fitness is a challenge at the best of times. It’s not that we’re uncooperative, it’s just that we live very busy lives. But, health awareness is a big deal in the modern era, where so much obesity is spread throughout the world. Family activities oriented around health are far from boring, in fact, they’re incredibly fun.
Swimming is a great family activity. Not only does it have a mixture of trust, learning, and confidence-boosting, but it’s also the best workout you can have. Swimming gets every single muscle in the body to work. No matter how small or large the muscles are, swimming gets them to activate, isolate, and work hard because it’s a weight-supported exercise. Although your body bodyweight has been cut down to as much as half in the water, you’re still trying to propel yourself under your own steam. Here are some ways you can have lots of fun at your local pool.
- Parents vs kids: This is where the parents team up to take on the kids in a swimming race. You need to select the length, the depth, and the stroke which you can use and then pace yourself against each other.
- Team up: One parent and one child are put into a team, they go against the other team and see who can win!
- Diving dares: You each take turns to do your best dive. Make sure that it’s at a safe and reasonable height so you don’t hurt yourself. Try to be daring and do a flip or somersault into the water.
Did you know that you can burn up to 300 calories from just half an hour of swimming? Not only can the kids play games and enjoy swimming toys, but everyone is losing weight while laughing and joking.
Up the mountain pass!
No matter what you do in life, don’t ever allow any piece of terrain to tell you that “you, shall not pass!!”. Yes, you will! As a family, mountain biking is one of the best activities to enjoy outdoors. Not only are you safely out of the way of traffic, but you’re taking on challenging terrain and having fun while you’re doing it. There are so many cycling routes open in the countryside, that hardly get used compared to their urban counterparts. So here what you need to do.
- Try and find a local family mountain biking club or service, which can rent you the bikes, help you learn how to cycle uphill and manage the gears on the bike, and give you all the safety equipment you need.
- If you already have the things you need, then select a mountain biking route that’s local to you. Make sure you have the means to transport the bikes safely and are ready for the adventure with first aid kits, snacks, and mapping tools/apps such as in your smartphone.
- Set a route that is good for the whole family. If you have small children, they won’t be able to keep up with you on certain routes and lengths. Try to have an uphill and downhill section so as to relax and have fun.
- If you’re keen on speed, then select a route that allows you and the kids to thunder through the forest, following an already carved out route that other people use too.
Did you know that you could burn up to 200-400 calories in just half an hour of intense cycling? You can burn up to 800 calories in an hour and if you’re looking to lose weight but not put too much stress on your limbs, then mountain biking is a great choice.
Badminton is a very popular game because it is very intense, fast, and exciting, but it doesn’t require much space or expensive equipment. All you need are the following things to get going.
- Do you have a 6×13 meter space?
- A good set of trainers, preferably with a strong and springy sole.
- A breathable t-shirt so you can sweat and not have the t-shirt stick to you so much. Preferably, the t-shirt and shorts should be made from cotton.
- A badminton racket and a few shuttlecocks
- A net for the court and pillars for it to be attached.
- A referee to spot the game.
If you’re a family of five, one person needs to sit at the sideline and call the game. This sport can also be played at your local sports center. They have courts for badminton and tennis. It’s really a simple game to play and enjoy. You could burn up to 200 calories an hour or more, depending on how intense the game is.
Maybe it’s time your family went keto? The ketogenic diet is very easy to follow and immediately shows results. This is because the carbs are kept to an absolute minimum if you’re going full keto. What happens is, your body starts to burn and use energy which is directly consumed from eating protein, fruits, vegetables, and fat. Carbs are the body’s main source of energy but when it’s no longer getting complex carbs, it will begin to burn fat cells and use energy that is immediately available, which is what the high-fat and protein diet is all about.
Learn how to make quiche, which is incredibly healthy and helps you to lose weight. Made from eggs and cheese, it’s got a lot of protein and fat, which is just what the keto diet advises. You can also learn how to make keto breakfasts, like French crepes, omelets, and a whole host of vegetable salads with salmon, boiled egg, chicken, and feta cheese. You can also cook as a family every night, making healthy meals and teaching your kids how to prepare food. Buy a keto recipe book and make it a family activity to make one new meal every Monday and Sunday.
We have been away from our normal health services for quite some time. We always overlook the humble dentist. This service is really treated so poorly by us all. We don’t feel the need to visit the dentist because we’re happy to brush out teeth, floss every now and then and think we’re just fine. Wrong. We eat, drink and chew gum a lot of the time and just brushing our teeth twice a day won’t help us stave off decaying teeth and receding gums. Go visit a family practice together and see what can be done to make your mouth healthier, stronger, and more resilient to the things we put it through every single day.
They have family services that focus on general dentistry for things such as tooth fillings, teeth cleaning, root canal therapy, tooth extractions, dentures, and dental implants to name a few things. If you have certain conditions then they also have cosmetic dentistry. They have services such as dental veneers, which can make your teeth, straight as a ruler and bright as a piece of paper. If you need fast braces metal braces, in adulthood, they can also do this for you. The whole family can be serviced in one day and get all the information and tips you need to retain the health and strength of your teeth and gums.
Family day trips
In the interest of your family’s mental health, having a day trip would be brilliant at this time of year. You have the sun, long days, and plenty of summer vibes to enjoy outdoors. Get your flip flops, your shorts, and your sunglasses, and get out there to go visit the coast, a village by the sea or a town that’s got a lot of interesting unique history. Family day trips are about being together, not worrying about normal life and quite frankly, enjoying some time to stretch your legs, enjoy the fresh air and socialize with other people.
A day trip with the family is great for your mental well being. Not worrying about finances, work, or your health, you just enjoy the world around you. The aim is to limit your stress and learn niche facts about the country you live in, in person, with your family. Visit a historical church, a war memorial, and a brilliant art gallery or a museum together. It’s not always about physical health, but mental happiness and fitness to take on any challenge in your stride.
Don’t be afraid to go outside, as long as you’re following the basic safety measures. Social distance, wear gloves if you want and put on a face mask. Get outdoors and conquer a mountain with your family. Play some intense badminton at your local sports center and learn how to cook healthy ketogenic recipes!