I’ve been cloth diapering for a few weeks now and I’m learning something new every day! I finally figured out why the diapers were leaking – I didn’t have them on tight enough! This also solved the “bulge” issue. In case you aren’t sure what I mean, my little girl is in a size 18 month clothes and her pants didn’t fit quite right after switching to cloth. The cloth diapers seemed to be bulkier than disposable diapers, which makes sense – with no chemicals soaking up the moisture, enough layers of cloth should do the trick!
I generally wash the cloth diapers every day or every other day – depending on how many covers I go through in one day. If I have enough covers to last me, then I will do 1 load with all the diapers on the following day. On Friday I had plenty of diapers left, so I planned to wash on Saturday. By Sunday I realized I forgot to wash them all and there was some kinda funky smell coming from my little girl’s room. I immediately washed them in a very hot cycle. When I opened the washing machine the smell was still around so I washed them again. Apparently I had an ammonia problem – I guess this was a job for some heavy duty cleaner – and for those of you that cloth diaper, you will be the first to tell me NOT to reach for the bleach! Instead, I went for one of the sample packets that the people over at Rockin Green sent me to review. I opted for the lavender mint scent and tried another load. This time, the smell was gone! Ok, so I know what you are thinking: How did she know it was the detergent and not the 3 cycles that the diapers went through? Well, I tried it out again today and on the first wash the diapers were fresh and smelled like NOTHING (which is a good thing)!
Here is some more info on Rockin Green Detergent:
Is it safe for my diapers?
Yeap! You can do a mini-strip when you first start using Rockin’ Green to get the jump on the funk.
Yes. Rockin’ Green was designed with hard water problems in mind, so even if you have had trouble finding things that work in the past, Rockin’ Green will surprise you. If you have soft water, you can use even less Rockin’ Green to get the same effect. Begin with 1 tbs, and adjust the amount as needed.
- Soft – this formula is designed for those that have sensitive little ones or soft water.
- Classic – this is the original formula, and is great for those with moderate hard water, or just those that are battling with stinkies. Comes in unscented and scented varieties.
- Hard – This formula is designed for the most troubling of water types.
- Mighty Mighty Marshmallow – it’s sweet and nutty, and very mighty!
- Smashing Watermelons- this juicy watermelon blend is like a kick to your senses..Best Seller!
- The Green Tea’s – the zen like blend of green tea and aloe, is sure to make it to the top of your playlist.
- Rage against the Raspberry- this raspberry and honey blend will have you running around the laundry room looking for the mosh pit! Best Seller!
- Mötley Cleän – there’s clean and then there’s Mötley Cleän. This fresh blend has hints of ocean, fresh linen, and sunshine.
- Lavender Mint Revival- this medley of lavender and mint is like nothing you have heard or smelled before!
- Bare Naked Babies- because we love the smell of babies, we offer an unscented variety too!